Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Commentary

I just finished my English A1 Paper 1 - The Commentary.

We had two pieces of literature to pick from. One poem, and one prose. The poem was about two goldfish in a bowl, and how the love between them died as the female goldfish came to realisation that she wanted a life outside the bowl, but the male goldfish can only provide her with happiness within the bowl. I liked the poem as the whole poem was put in brakets, except for the last stanza where is said:

(the reason, she said
she wanted)
(and he could not give)
a life
beyond the
(bowl)

The 'life beyond', was not put in brackets (which looked like the exteriors of a goldfish bowl), showing a life that was outside the bowl, and I think that this was really cool.

The prose which we had (and which I ended up writing about), was about a women in her house, and how a series of events in her front garden arouses her memories of how her husband died. These memories become so powerful and vivid and hurtful to her that at the end, she succumbs to the pain and is 'taken away' by the memories, and how the memories 'swallowed' her 'covered her up'.

I feel that the points which I wrote about were pretty good, however I have doubts whether the deliverance of these points were good enough... sigh... oh well.. Hopefully~~

2 comments:

  1. awww why didn't you write about the poem? it sounds like a cool poem :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty cool I guess haha~

    but that's all I found in the poem... so I didn't write about it... A lot of people wrote about poem so... :/

    ReplyDelete