Friday, June 11, 2010

Life is life... Blogging life??

I just realized that A LOT of young kids my age are starting their own blogs. These blogs include content regarding school life, social life, or just plain randomness (kinda like mine :P). This really got me thinking, what is the point of spending so much of your time on updating your own blog? Will this get you somewhere? Will it benefit you in anyway whatsoever??
I can speak of this from personal experience, after spending hours writing up stuff, especially that Queen's B'day camp recount. But ultimately, what will this achieve? I assume that everyone has a goal or a general direction that they are wanting to go by writing their own blog. You don't see many kids writing personal diaries nowadays, but the blog is just like a diary!! Expect it sometimes includes random comments from random personnel. So what makes a blog different, apart from having other people read it? What makes it so attracting for the young population, the group that shuns other form of daily recapping through diary writing? So I planned to cook up my own answer.

My first thought is that, because the internet is such a large part of people's life nowadays, and it's so convenient and easy to access, people generally will be more inclined to do things on the internet, instead of any other way. It is much easier to type out a long article than having to write it down, or to record it and somehow make the whole world listen to it. If it is more convenient. then why not take advantage of it and make the most out of it?

High school students, like myself, already write enough at school. We don't want to come back home just to write about how writing at school was sooo boring, so we tend to just come home and slouch down in front of the monitor and start surfing. But we will want to have a recap of how our day went, or some other interesting happenings during the day, without the need to rip out a pen and some paper. So we blog!!! We blog about ANYTHING that comes to our head, be it appropriate or not. We aim to tell everyone else how our life has been, and to express our life in a way that is acceptable to other people, knowing that it may be viewed by millions of other people. And if lucky enough, we might be able to get some feedback and develop. But this isn't the case for everyone.
In my case, I blog to get some of the feelings I had that day off of my chest, be it good or bad. I write so that I can remind myself what happened, and also to reflect. I don't really aspire to show other people because I know that reading about other people's lives isn't that fun... they'd rather go and watch a 'reality' TV show i guess. Some are aimed to show people what I have done, but most are aimed at myself so that when I read, I can think back to why I felt that way, and if there is any room for improvement, and hopefully other people will learn from my mistakes as well. And I like to get a few comments.
Some people write just to show other people. Which is, I guess, a reasonable motive. If they are extremely shy, or have trouble communicating, writing a blog to express their feelings or their life is a great way to show other people what life is like for something like them.
Then there are those people that just promote themselves on their blog. They want to gain recognition and fame through the things that they blog about. OR because they are alienated from real life, and they want at least some recognition in a none direct way. Maybe they have real talent, but people scold them for having that talent.

What do you achieve? Well, the main thing I think that we achieve from updating a blog is recognition. It allows other people to understand you life, and you, a lot more. Allowing them to accept who you are (unless you slander), and stand in someone else shoes.

Well.. this is pretty much all I can think of at the moment... It isn't that much, so I hope other people can add to it.

'Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you will be a mile away, and you will have their shoes' said once a great man, whom I will not mention. xP

2 comments:

  1. :] sounds about right. I think I will do a post on why I blog as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you do that.

    add to mine as well!! :D

    ReplyDelete